- In 1931 Thomas Smith, a Professor of Pharmacy and a retail pharmacist in Dublin developed a unique cream from the back of his humble shop. The healing cream was excellent at treating nappy rash, eczema, pressure sores, incontinence rash and a variety of other minor skin lesions.
- Professor Smith’s unique formula proves to be extremely popular and quickly requires new manufacturing premises.
- The soothing cream goes from strength to strength, eventually becoming known as Sudocrem.
- A promotional strategy of personally delivering Sudocrem samples to new mothers turns the product into a steady seller in Ireland.
- Improvements are made to the marketing and distribution resulting in a doubling of sales over the next 4 years, allowing Sudocrem to be introduced into Northern Ireland and Northwest England.
- Sudocrem was launched nationally in Great Britain and over the next 20 years quickly established itself as the market leader for nappy rash cream in the UK and Ireland.
- Sudocrem celebrates 80 years of skincare for all the family. Sudocrem products are now available in over 40 countries worldwide.
- Still manufactured in Dublin, the Sudocrem formula has withstood the tests of time and remains unchanged from its humble origins.